Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Jeff

For the past couple days, Jeff would say things to me, like, "Are you my mommy?" and I would say, "Yes, are you my Jeffrey?" and he would say, "Yes." He also would say, "You are my Mommy." Simply a statment, an observation. Today, I was having a pretty hard time getting him to listen. I would give him one chance to do something and then put him in the corner if he didn't comply. After about 4 trips to the corner, I was getting pretty frustrated, wondering what on earth I could do to make him listen to me. Glenn got home and was upstairs using the restroom when Jeff started upstairs. I told Jeff to come down, that Daddy was busy and would be down in a minute, but he still maintained that he wanted to go upstairs. I reitereated that Dad was busy and told Jeff to come downstairs, again. After telling him about 3 times, I threatened to put him in the corner again, as I continued getting dinner ready. From the stairs, I hear a 3-year-old voice say, "You're not my Mommy." Say WHAT?? "What?" I asked. He said it again: "You're not my Mommy." This time, I abandoned my task and went to the stairs, where Jeff was still sitting. "What did you say?" I demanded. This time, I got in respone a sheepish, little-boy grin. "Nofing." he replied. But it was too late. Into the corner yet again, and by this time, Glenn was heading down the steps. He had a man-to-boy talk with Jeff as I went back to the kitchen to continue making dinner, shaking my head at the things that come out of this kid's mouth. It was less than a minute when in came Jeff, and he wrapped his arms around my legs and said, "I'm sorry for saying NO!" Close enough, I guess. Is this going to get easier as they get older, or harder? I guess we get to find out.

3 comments:

Carol A. Sinclair said...

I remember a story that Beth Moore told during one of her Bible studies. She is world famous for her Bible studies and mentor to women. She said one morning her 4 year old little girl was coming down the steps , stopped midway and said to Beth "Are you going to boss me all day"? So, the answer to your question is....it never ends, but it's worth every minute! Love, MOM

Carol A. Sinclair said...

I remember a story that Beth Moore told during one of her Bible studies. She is world famous for her Bible studies and mentor to women. She said one morning her 4 year old little girl was coming down the steps , stopped midway and said to Beth "Are you going to boss me all day"? So, the answer to your question is....it never ends, but it's worth every minute! Love, MOM

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.